Saturday, May 24, 2008

Kojak




On Friday we had to put Kojak to sleep. I took him to work with me on Friday because I noticed he didn't seem like he was feeling well. He wasn't eating or drinking and was very sleepy. The doctor took x-rays and did a cardiac ultrasound and found out that he had fluid around his heart and was having a hard time breathing. She also was pretty sure that he had a tumor on his heart. She said that she could try to drain the fluid around the heart but the chances of him surviving that were slim and that the fluid would eventually be back and cause him more discomfort. I have to say that sending him to doggy heaven was probably the hardest thing I have had to do so far in my life. At the same time I am somewhat relieved because I know that he is not uncomfortable anymore and I am not sure how long he was really uncomfortable. We already miss him terribly especially BJ who has been looking for his big old buddy, but I know in my heart that I made the right decision. Kojak was definitely the best dog I have ever had.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohh I'm so sorry to that happened, that must be really hard for you .... =(

Amy Jo said...

I'm sorry to hear about Kojack. I know you loved him very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colleen,
I tried to send this to you earlier but I must be doing something wrong. I hope it comes through this time. I am so sorry about Kojak. He was a wonderful dog and family companion. I just loved the way he cared for Livie. You gave him a wonderful home and a wonderful family to be a part of. I'm certain his days were happy. He loved you, Brad and Livie - He really took to eveyone who came to your home. When the time comes for you to get another dog, I am sure you will find just the right one. You are wonderful - I love the way you care for everyone and everything. Thank you!
Love,
Ruth